Course name: Topografia
Course code: 502526
Degree course: Ingegneria Civile e Ambientale
Disciplinary field of science: ICAR/06
L'insegnamento è caratterizzante per: Ingegneria Civile e Ambientale
University credits: CFU 6
Course website: n.d.
Specific course objectives
This course will introduce students to the technologies and field procedures used in surveying and mapping. Students will understand the fundamental principles of plane surveying and acquire skills to undertake all the measurements and computations necessary for mapping and deformation monitoring.
1 PRINCIPLES OF SURVEYING
- Basic surveying operations and computations
- Theories of errors and their analysis
- Fundamental concepts of horizontal, vertical, and angular measurement.
- Fundamentals of observing distances, elevations, and angles.
- Geodetic sensors: levelling instruments, tacheometers, laserscanning
2 FUNDAMENTALS OF SATELLITE POSITIONING
- History of positioning and navigation using satellites.
- Fundamentals of satellite orbits, signals and messages.
- Fundamentals of coordinate reference systems, quality measures and integrity.
- A Satellite positioning system: GPS.
- Stand alone and differential positioning.
- Static and kinematic positioning.
3 FUNDAMENTALS OF GEODESY AND CARTOGRAPHY
- Geographical, Cartesian and astronomical coordinates.
- Definitions of geodetic, ellipsoidal datums.
- Datum transformation methods.
- Calculations in planar, spherical and ellipsoidal coordinate systems.
- Definitions "map" and "cartography".
- Map history. Map projections. Current tasks and situation of cartography
- Basic methods, technologies and systems of digital cartography
- Map conception and workflow planning.
4 APPLICATIONS OF ENGINEERING SURVEYING
Deformation monitoring techniques
- Conventional (precise levelling measurements, angle and distance measurements etc.),
- Photogrammetric (terrestrial, aerial and digital photogrammetry),
Course entry requirements
Course structure and teaching
Lectures (hours/year in lecture theatre): 30
Practical class (hours/year in lecture theatre): 30
Practicals / Workshops (hours/year in lecture theatre): 0
Suggested reading materials
Testing and exams
A written exam on the whole program.