Gian Michele Calvi
Course name: Design of bridges
Course code: 502867
Degree course: Ingegneria Civile
Disciplinary field of science: ICAR/09
L'insegnamento è caratterizzante per: Ingegneria Civile
University credits: CFU 9
Course website: n.d.
Specific course objectives
Provide the essential tools for the design and the verification of bridge structures.
Theory: complements of mechanics of materials and structural design
- Influence lines and influence surfaces theory
- Load redistribution in beam and girder systems: classical approach and matrix analysis
- Plastic design of plates
- Box girder analysis
- Pre-tensioned and post-tensioned structures analysis
- Steel – concrete composite structures analysis
- Theory of arch structures
- Theory of curved beam
- Dynamic analysis of large span structures: introduction to problems related to cable stayed structures, fatigue of materials and fracture mechanics
Applications: practical elements related to bridge structures
- Historical mentions on design and construction of large span structures, with particular reference to bridge
- Typological analysis of bridges: beam bridges, deck and through arch bridges, cable stayed bridges, suspension bridges
- Codes for design and construction of bridges, with particular reference to italian Decreto Ministeriale 4 maggio 1990 “Norme tecniche per la progettazione, la esecuzione ed il collaudo dei ponti stradali” and the new code: Norme tecniche per le Costruzioni
- Mentions to urban, road, hydraulic and geotechnical codes that influence bridge design
- The choice of bridge type, materials and spans: use of databases and Expert Systems
- Bridge elements and relative building details: deck, piles, abutments, bearings, roadway joints, cables and relative connection systems, slip roads, drainage systems
- FEM modeling techniques of bridge elements: simple and complex models
- Building techniques and construction site organization for bridge construction process
- Conservation status and safety assessment of existing bridges, possible restore and retrofitting techniques with particular interest on materials durability. Useful mentions on diagnostic activity, post-tensioning technique and the use of high-strength fibers
- Mentions on bridge dynamic analysis: vibrations and aerodynamic effects
Course entry requirements
Basic concepts of calculus, geometry and physics. Structural analysis techniques. Construction material properties (steel and concrete). Operational and ultimate behavior of elements and sections realized with concrete and steel under shear, torsion and axial – bending interaction. Basic concepts of structural dynamics.
Course structure and teaching
Lectures (hours/year in lecture theatre): 60
Practical class (hours/year in lecture theatre): 10
Practicals / Workshops (hours/year in lecture theatre): 10
Suggested reading materials
Appunti del corso di Progetto di ponti.
F. Leonhardt. Bridges. Ed. DVA.
C. Menn. Prestressed Concrete Bridges. Ed. Birkhauser.
M.J.N. Priestley, F. Seible, G.M. Calvi. Seismic Design and Retrofit of Bridges. Ed. Wiley and Sons.
M.P. Collins, D. Mitchell. Prestressed Concrete Structures. Ed. Response Publication.
Testing and exams
The course will be graded through a final written exam and a final oral exam.